SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:40:17 -0500
I've been having trouble with VMWare 5 and SL4...  I've submitted a
big-report the VMWare folks -- but they can't/won't replicate it.

The problem is that after I use VMWare for a while, it will cause the
device holding /home (/dev/mapper/VolWhatever) to become read-only.
Remounting doesn't help -- I have to reboot before I can write to /home
again.  I've rebuilt the machine from scratch and I see the same behavior.

I'm running a pair of mirrored HDDs, with LVM running in /dev/md2, and
then ext3 filesystems on top of LVM.  (The /dev/md1 device is used is
/boot.)

Has anyone seen anything similar?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Luke

P.S. It doesn't seem to happen on my work-computer, which is running SL4
on non-mirrored drives.  The /home volume is delivered by an NFS
automunt on that computer, though.

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering