SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 07:06:58 +1000
> Hey Stephen,
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, John A. Goebel wrote:
> >
> > >++ 14/12/05 18:23 +0000 - <John Rowe>:
> > >
> > >Hi,

> > >I don't know what your load is like, but can't NFS do this for you and LVM?
> > >
> > >For the requirement of serving $HOME, NFS is a classic. Although I haven't
> > >tried it, NFS 4 has failover. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?
> >
> > Even if that's implemented now (is it?), wouldn't you still need some
> > (cluster) filesystem shared between the servers?
>
> Yes, that's right. Years ago, when I had to do this, I used
> Kimberlite. Sorry, I don't know the current resources.
>
> I like the simple solution if it works, so here a recipe:
>
> http://www.linux-ha.org/HaNFS
>
> > AFS won't do the job either (no read-write replication). It would be
> > possible to recover from a failed node quickly and transparent to the
> > client, though.
> >
> > The most promising solution in such a scenario to me seems to be something
> > like that described in
> >
> >   http://www.rhic.bnl.gov/hepix/talks/041020am/miers.pdf
> >
> > Not trivial to set up, and I wonder how lock recovery would work, but the
> > best low cost solution I know of.
>
> Also, you might want to poke around Linux HA site. The LAN mirror section
> especially:
>
> http://www.linux-ha.org/RelatedTechnologies_2fLanMirroring
>
> John

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I use linuxha.net (http://www.linuxha.net) which
uses drbd as the shared storage device, so you don't have to spend the $k's on
shared storage hardware, but use a network link between 2 nodes to replicate
data. This also very easily provides HA NFS, using failover between two machines.

Michael.