SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:29:52 +0000
Note that there have been *no* security fixes and/or updates for ld-linux
(1.9.xxx) or libc5 for a very long time.  Given the number of issues with
glibc/libc6 in the last 6 years I'm assuming that libc5 is rather _full_
of holes!

We still (are forced to) support it on our SL3 machines because we still
have apps (from RH4/RH5 days), but we are trying to get rid of it.

We put the libc5 libs in a non-standard location so that LD_LIBRARY_PATH
needs to be set to use them, and provide wrappers for the (now very few)
important libc5 apps.  At some point we will finally bite the bullet and
drop the support completely...

If you are deperate to actually expose yourself to this danger you can
find libc5 rpms in the RHx trees (for old enough versions of RHx).  e.g.
in RH6.2 you can find ld.so-1.9.5-13 and libc-5.3.12-31 as the compat
libs.  Possibly there are *slightly* newer ones elsewhere too.

  -- Jon