SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:56:43 -0600
Nick I said...

|Hi,
|At www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ <http://www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ> the=
|re is a
|question about what OS and cluster management software are the best f=
|or a
|cluster system. Does anyone have any advice on Scientific Linux as a =
|cluster
|OS?

Well, we've been happy with it so far.  We ran
RedHat (5,6,7,8) for years, but their pricing
model was too much for us when they switched
to EL.  We've been using SL for a couple of
months now, and it's worked well so far.

The EDA tool vendors all support RHEL3, and
many require it.  Our position is that SL
is close enough.

A couple of vendors have worked on problems
WRT their apps on SL3; we explained the
situation and they were fine with it.  But
to head off potential problems, we have
purchased six RHEL3 licenses which we are
installing on one of each class of system
we have.  When a problem arises, we'll try
to duplicate it on the licensed system, and
let the vendor debug it there.

If the behavior is different, then we'll
talk to the SL folk.  If worst came to worse,
we could license RHEL for all our systems,
but we'd just as soon not.

Yes, the price pales in comparison to the
licensing costs of some EDA Tools.  But
cash flow is cash flow, and our investors
have this crazy notion ours should be
positive.

-Miles
--