SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Maxim Kovgan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:29:00 +0200
On ו', 2005-11-18 at 11:19 -0700, Nick I wrote:
> Hi,
> At www.clusterbuilder.org/FAQ there is a question about what OS and
> cluster management software are the best for a cluster system.  Does
> anyone have any advice on Scientific Linux as a cluster OS?
I think the best cluster OS should be the one that meets:
0. compatible with applications you intend to run.
1. commercial software compatibility - if you run commercial software
with specific OS requirements, you have not much choice
2. the OS you feel most convenient with

If you post such question into "scientific linux user" Mailing list, you
should already understand the community in here is very oriented
into ... bah! Scientific Linux. :)

> Here is the question:
>
> "I'm bulding a project for a cluster that consists on 64 machines
> running each 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron with 2GB of memory per core (8GB
> per machine). We already have everything else accounted for except for
> the software. We have serious doubts on what would be best for the OS
> and the cluster management software. The OS has to be open source.
> Please give me some advice on what you think you be the best
> performance solution for it. It doesn''t matter if it's not free. "
>
> Also, if anyone has any advice on cluster management software, please
> send it.  I am trying to build a knowldgebase of different opinions on
> software.

hm.. this is where google comes to mind...

> Thanks,
> Nick

Wanna buy a duck?