SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:21:37 -0600
Hi Tom,
As Connie said, if it is a pure pentium, then S.L. won't install on it
because of the kernel, but CentOS will.  But if it is a pentium II, then
I'd definatly say go with S.L. and use ice.
Ice was designed to be very lightweight.  It generally takes somewhere
around 56k of memory.  The whole rpm itself is only 1.5 Meg, and that is
including icons.
You can get icewm out of the dag repository if you find you have to go
the CentOS route.
Troy

Connie Sieh wrote:
> Tom,
>
> A big problem is going to be the "pentium" part of that as RHEL does not
> support pentium out of the box.  I think that CentOS does support
> pentium.  It is another RHEL rebuild.  You could use SL along with Icewm
> (because of the shortage of memory) and the kernel...i586.rpm from CentOS.
>
> -Connie Sieh
>
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Tom Rockwell
> wrote:
>

>>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>
>>--Boundary_(ID_YyBwjkelNqFU05SvfVJcDA)
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an old pentium 233 MHz laptop with 64MB RAM that I'd like to use
>>for mainly for serial console access, ssh, light web surfing, and as an
>>X display.  Can somebody recommend a distro that is derived from Redhat
>>or Fedora (so management will be similair to SL distros) but that
>>provides a lighter weight desktop than KDE or Gnome and can run with the
>>lower performance and memory capacity that a 7 year old laptop provides?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Tom Rockwell

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468