SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:05:03 -0600
Paul,

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Paul A. Rombouts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that there is a kernel-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL.i686.rpm update in
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/41/i386/errata/SL/RPMS/
> but no kernel-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL.src.rpm in
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/41/SRPMS/vendor/errata/.

The kernel is always a special case as other things have to be rebuilt.
This gets in the way of our automated release system.  Will  put up src
now.

> On my machine a kernel compiled specifically for the AMD Athlon seems to
> work much better than the generic i686 RHEL kernel.
>
> In the mean time I have downloaded a 22.0.1.EL src rpm from
> ftp.redhat.com and compiled that. As far as I can tell there is no
> difference in content between the kernel source packages from
> ftp.redhat.com and ftp.scientificlinux.org, only the signature is different.

That is were we get them from.  We do not sign the .src.rpm files if they
are already signed by the Upstream Vendor.

> Can anyone tell me if there are any other subtle differences between the
> kernel source packages from ftp.redhat.com and ftp.scientificlinux.org?

None.  If there were changes we would mention them in the SL.releasenote .

> Thanks,

-Connie Sieh