SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:37:10 -0600
Hi Connie,

I've finally got it working.  It has nothing to do with the firewall  The
iptables service is stopped.  The problem is a lot more complicated; I don't
fully understand what is going on.  But, for what it is worth, I will try to
list what I did.

First, I need the flag SECURE_NFS=no in /etc/sysconfig/nfs.  Incidentally,
the file is not in the distribution and must be created.  This turns off the
rpcgssd and rpcsvcgssd services.  Switching them off via chkconfig is no
good because the nfs service will turn them on.  rpcidmapd must be
configured and enabled.

I tried running the rpc gss services manually but they failed.  The error
message was they could not find the key nfs/<host>@<realm> even though I
have it defined in my krb5.keytab file.  I believe this is specific to the
way my realm is defined.  Here at Argonne all employees have a domain ID
defined the lab-wide Windows Active Directory. In other words, all of us
have a principal <user>@ANL.GOV.  For purposes of authentication, I define
my default realm in krb5.conf as ANL.GOV.  However, machines and services
are defined in our Windows child domain which in my case is PHY.ANL.GOV.  I
believe this is the reason why these services cannot find the nfs service
principal.  So, bottom line is:  unless I can redefine the realm for the rpc
gss services, I need to switch them off.  In any case, I don't care about
auth_gss for nfs so I really don't need them.

You don't need a portmap or mountd allow in /etc/hosts.allow if it's an
NFSv4 client mounting something from a NFSv4 server.  But, you will need to
allow mountd if you try to mount an NFSv4 exported fs on a NFSv3 client.
To cover both cases, hosts.allow should have

    portmap mountd: <client-list>

The portmap allows things like 'rpcinfo -p <NFSv4 server>' while the mountd
allows mounts and 'showmount -e <NFSv4 server>'.  /etc/exports must specify
fsid=0 for an exported filesystem.  That is,

    /export <nfs-client>(rw,sync,fsid=0,...)

NFSv4 clients mount so:

    mount -t nfs4 server:/ /mnt

while NFSv3 clients mount so:

    mount -t nfs server:/export /mnt

I tried removing it, but then only NFSv3 clients can mount.  NFSv4 clients
cannot.  Specifying fsid=0 means you have to use the NFSv4 pseudo-filesystem.
I'm still playing around with this one.

Finally, and this one is a complete mystery to me.  You need to restart
rpcidmapd if you restart portmap and/or nfs.  After I discovered this, I
could reliably mount my NFSv4 exports.  So, when in doubt, always do

    service portmap restart
    service nfs restart
    service rpcidmapd restart

in this order.  If there are folks who have more experience and/or
understand this at a deeper level, I'd like to a read a short synopsis on
how and why.

Ken