SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:15:12 -0600
I'm having problems getting NFS to work on SL 4.1.  I've followed the
recipes in the RedHat docs and those I found on the web, but no cigar!

I've left rpc.idmapd running with the Domain parameter set to our DNS domain
on both the server and client side.  On the server side, I've turned off
rpc.gssd and rpc.svcgssd.  The exports file has the line

/h *.phy.anl.gov(rw,sync,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check)

On the client side, the nfslock service is running.  I mount the system so

mount -rvt nfs server.phy.anl.gov:/h /mnt

The client says:
mount: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

The server log says:
... mountd: request from unauthorized host

I specify the client explicitly in /etc/hosts.allow
portmap: .phy.anl.gov
rpc.mountd: <client-ip>

Next, I try

mount -rvt nfs4 server.phy.anl.gov:/h /mnt

The client says:
mount: special device server.phy.anl.gov:/h does not exist

Or, it hangs.  The server is silent.  Turning on rpc.gssd and rpc.svcgssd
makes no difference.

I'm baffled.  Must be something awfully simple that I've overlooked.  Can
someone shed some light?

Ken