SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:47:56 -0500
Eric Le Goff wrote:

>I might off topic here, but I desesperatly try to install a vmware
>Scientific Linux 4.1 guest on vmware (host is windows xp) .
>Everything works fine except screen resolution. A better place to ask
>might have been xorg team , because the issue I have is related to
>screen resolution : It cannot be higher than 800x600 which is really
>disappointing as my Thinkpad T40 laptop windows host (with ATI Radeon
>card)  can display 1280x1024.
>With vmware I think you have to use a "vmware driver" but each time I edit
>/etc/X11/xorg.conf with resolution higher than 800x600 (depth is 24)
>the next X session displays a messed up screen
>Any idea ?

Have you installed the vmware-tools package on the guest-SL4 yet?
That's how the VMWare folks have packaged up the vmware driver.

If yes, then you'll may have to edit the section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
that looks like this:

    Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Videocard0"
            Driver      "nv"
            VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
            BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
    EndSection

to use the vmware driver (replace "nv" with another string (probably
"vmware")), before changing the resolution.

However, it's been a long time since I've used Linux as a guest-os in
VMWare - my preferred desktop is Linux, so I occasionally need to run
Windows as the guest OS.  I don't remember the exact name of the vmware
video driver.  It's also likely that the vmware-tools install script
will attempt to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for you.

I hope these vague hints are helpful!

-Luke