SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:15:58 +1000
Hi Michael,

> Greetings,
>
> I need to setup a file server for users/groups to share files,
> preferably with easy remote access from a web browser or something
> that will work on Mac, Windows, and Linux clients (read/write).  I
> have read about these capabilities with Novell's iFolder (and
> especially liked the directory based user management), but I would
> like to use SL4x.  Does anyone have experience with using this or
> something like this on SL4? Thanks.

There's many Opensource projects I've looked at in the past that can meet your
requirements, but without being too specific it's hard to determine what
you're after.

For example, you could have Samba setup (with whatever autnetication mechanism
you choose), setup your groups, permissions, and have it available on the web
with:

http://smbwebclient.sourceforge.net/

or do you want a specific webfilesystem like this?

http://www.webfilesystem.net/

or maybe WebDAV access via Apache?

or prepackaged feature-packed like this?

http://www.openfiler.com/about/

Michael.