SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:44:50 +0100
These are my notes for building a modified kernel *package*. I never tried
anything else.

- chown -R <user> /usr/src/redhat
- build can then be done as user, no root access needed

- install unmodified kernel.src.rpm
- add patches and source files in spec (# 20001+)
- rpmbuild -bp --target i686  (may fail if configuration options changed)

- if configuration options changed (or changes are wanted):
     cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9
     cp /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config .config
     make xconfig [save]
     cp .config /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config
   - repeat with all configs from %{all_arch_configs}

- change %{release} in spec to something simple (22.0.1.dznb.2)
- change buildsmp and buildhugemem macro to 0
   [not sure it works. who cares...]

- rpmbuild -ba --target i686

Some of the wizards on the list may have comments how to do this better?

Hope this helps,
 	Stephan

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Rob Henderson wrote:

> I am experiencing severe problems running usb on my acer 8104 laptop
> which may have something to do with the acpi dsdt area.
> In order to investigate this I want to recompile my kernel. I
> discovered that the linux tree was no longer part of the distribution when
> Connie Seih sent me the email below, however I have not had any success
> following this set of instructions which are taken from the release notes.
>
> I have tried numerous times to follow the instructions below simply to
> compile a default (unmodified) kernel which will boot using all 3 of the
> configuration files that come with the src.rpm. I note too that these
> configuration files are different to the configuration files found in
> /usr/src/kernel/... (are these the ones that were used to compile the
> kernels in the ditributions?). Specifically the one with the sl 4.1
> hugemem distrubution has different subarch type: generic ........
> whereas the ones that come with the rpm build does not have this and opts
> for pc-compat. I have no idea if this is significant but are the config
> files that come with the source rpm really the ones that were used to
> build the kernels with the distro! I have also tried compiling with all
> three of the /usr/src/kernels/... configuration files and they also fail.
>
> The commands I used after downloading the following file from the SL site
> are
>
> kernel-2.6.9-11.EL.src.rpm
>

> rpm -i kernel-2.6.9-11.EL.src.rpm
>
> rpmbuild --target=i686 SPECS/kernel2.6.spec
>
> cp configs/file ../.config   (note this differs from release notes)
>
> make oldconfig
>
> make bzImage
>
> cp bzimage /boot
>

> modified grub.conf
>
> reboot
>

> All versions fail to boot for various reasons
>
> Prominent among the error messages are line like
>
> insmod: error inserting '/lib/scsi-mod.ko' :Operation not permitted:-1
>

> Finally crashing with a kernel panic or just hanging.
>

> I have also tried rebuilding the modules and installing them but that had no effect
>

> There must be something very silly and simple that I am doing wrong as
> many people must have been requiring to rebuild their kernel so it must
> my fault but I simply cannot see what.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob Henderson
>

> Dr Rob C W Henderson
> Department of Physics    Lancaster University
> Telephone : 01524 593617

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |