SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2005

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:15:09 -0600
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Daniel Widyono wrote:

>> symptoms.  Some have suggested either increasing number of nfsd's to 300
>> or greater, or abandoning TCP altogether and reverting to UDP, which
>
> 4-way... I've heard (sorry don't remember source but it was found via google)
> you should limit yourself on linux to max 8 nfsd's per processor, that would
> mean 32 processes for 600+ mounts.
We are hyper-threaded with 8 effective processor, does that make a
difference?  (We found the same thing in Google).

Yikes.  We have about 15 mounts per
> server process, 8 processes per processor, also gives poor yield.  We're
> migrating to a SAN with GFS to "solve" this issue (among several other
> issues).

We are experimenting with doing the same.

> Is your server's network card stable and not saturated?

We are having some packet receive errors but nobody can tell us why.
If there are other ideas on how to tell whether the network card
is saturated, let me know.

>> 3) will change mount options, remove bg, add noac,rsize=32768, wsize=32768
>
> 32768?  Do you have the networking equipment to handle that without
> fragmenting?  Are you already using jumbo frames with your 8192 packet size?

No, no jumbo frames.. NFS howto says with TCP this size is OK.

Thanks

Steve

> Good luck,
> Dan W.

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  [log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Div/Core Support Services Dept./Scientific Computing Section
Assistant Group Leader, Farms and Clustered Systems Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team