SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2005

From:
Gerald Teschl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gerald Teschl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:29:39 +0100
Hi I just noticed that the keyboard will not work
on boxes which have a usb device connected during boot.
The i8042 driver will fail to init during boot:

Can't read CTR while initializing i8042.

We have a contract with HP and it seems to affect (at least)
all HP computers we have. Possible workarounds are to
replace the usb mouse by ps/2 one or to boot with acpi off.

The old HP series workes with SL4.1, but the new one's require
SL4.2 for the NIC to work;-(

Gerald

PS: Is turning acpi off expected to have sideeffects (other than
PM not working - which is no big deal for a desktop).