SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2005

From:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Misselt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:25:30 -0700
Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Karl Misselt wrote:

>> had issues with kudzu detecting all hardware as new.  1st probably
>> did as well.
>

> I saw kudzu behaving like this when installing rc1 (+ the AFS-related
> selinux changes in %post) on a Dell Precision 380. What it detected as
> new was at least the chipset (wonder what kudzu has to configure for
> that anyway) and the onboard sound. I think there was a third device,
> but I don't remember. I won't be able to do another test installation
> before the weekend.
>
> My system didn't freeze though, whether or not I allowed kudzu to
> "configure the new hardware".
>
> I also successfully installed the same on a Dell Poweredge 2850 (with
> PERC4 RAID) and a custom test system with an intel 925X desktop board.
> These have no console though, so I don't know how kudzu behaved during
> 1st boot. We usually turn it off in %post anyway...
>
> But if it's considered important, and the 4.2 release can wait until
> next week, I'll check.
>
> I guess there really is some mismatch between what's detected during
> installation and during the first reboot. This may or may not be a
> showstopper.
>
> Best Regards,
>     Stephan

Re-installed with rc2.5 (112205).  Same kudzu behavior, but selecting
'Do nothing' results in a normal boot-up.  The freeze probably happened
when I tried to re-configure the devices. So it seems there's some disconnect
between the installation and firstboot.  Not a big issue though, it seems.
Have not had a chance to upgrade the kernel on the 4.1 machine and see
if I get the same kudzu behavior yet.

-Karl

| Karl A. Misselt                             Office: Steward 254  |
| Steward Observatory                          Phone: 520-626-0196 |
| University of Arizona                          FAX: 520-621-9555 |
| Tucson, AZ 85721-0065                     [log in to unmask] |
|                       http://www.fairtax.org                     |