SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:14:05 +0100
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Karl Misselt wrote:

> had issues with kudzu detecting all hardware as new.  1st probably
> did as well.

I saw kudzu behaving like this when installing rc1 (+ the AFS-related
selinux changes in %post) on a Dell Precision 380. What it detected as new
was at least the chipset (wonder what kudzu has to configure for that
anyway) and the onboard sound. I think there was a third device, but I
don't remember. I won't be able to do another test installation before the
weekend.

My system didn't freeze though, whether or not I allowed kudzu to
"configure the new hardware".

I also successfully installed the same on a Dell Poweredge 2850 (with
PERC4 RAID) and a custom test system with an intel 925X desktop board.
These have no console though, so I don't know how kudzu behaved during
1st boot. We usually turn it off in %post anyway...

But if it's considered important, and the 4.2 release can wait until next
week, I'll check.

I guess there really is some mismatch between what's detected during
installation and during the first reboot. This may or may not be a
showstopper.

Best Regards,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |