SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:54:38 +0200
Hi All,

I created SL4 packages for the latest OpenAFS release candidate, available
from http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~wiesand/SL4/openafs-1.4.0rc6/

Besides the srpm, there are binary packages for i686 and amd64. The
clients received some light testing and seem to work well on both UP ans
SMP. The servers have not been tested yet.

The list of changes w.r.t. the 1.3.82 coming with SL4.1 looks long, but I
think they're all minor, and everything should be compatible. Many of
the changes make our packages more similar to the "official" ones for
RHEL4 by Derek Atkins, and I of course borrowed from those (as well of
the packages for RHEL4 made by Chris Wing).

One incompatible future change we could consider would be to split the
init script into ones for client and server. Not only because it makes
sense IMHO, but also because that's what is done in the packages available
from openafs.org. Opinions?

There are still bugs being fixed between release candidates, hence it
would be a good thing if SL4 users could help finding them, and I think
rc6 is worth a try.

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |