SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:12:21 -0500
Maarten,

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Maarten Ballintijn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some questions about the (intended) locations of rpms when
> creating a local site repository.
>
> Is ".../i386/sites/MySite/errata/MySite/RPMS" a suggestion
> or is it also used by something? Why is there another "MySite"
> layer?

This is so that a site can have "private" errata.  We here at Fermi do not
point yum at the SL errata area but at our site errata area.

> My idea was we would end up with 4 yum repositories: SL, SL-errata,
> MySite and MySite-errata. For generating the installation

Yes that is what we do now for Scientific Linux Fermi.  We only use SL,
MySite and MySite-errata so that we can control what goes into errata.

> .../MySite/Update would contain a copy of MySite and possibly
> SL-errata and MySite-errata if I want to avoid a lengthy "yum update"
> after the installation? Could these be symlinks?

If you want to put your errata in ../MySite/Updates that would work, just
have to rebuild things with the make.everything.sh script as if it were a
new release except saying no to the make install images and make cd
question, unless you really wanted to make cd images.  You would need to
run the make.everything.sh script with the "make install images"  only if
you got a new errata kernel and you wanted it to be the installer kernel.

Symlinks to where?

> Has anyone come up with a simple configuration?
>
> Thanks for any insights!
>
> Regards,
>
> Maarten.

-Connie Sieh