SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:09:40 +0200
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:16:06AM +0200, Jan Iven wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> at the "Spring" Hepix conference in Karlsruhe, we had complaints that SL
> wasn't "scientific" enough, i.e. was missing several packages.
>
> I had contacted several developers to see whether they could make
> +maintain SL versions (RPM+SRPM). Examples where there was some
> willingness are OpenScientist and GSL, with ROOT and GEANT4 at least not
> against the idea. I also have some things I prepared myself (xmgrace or
> (eventually) a recompilable CERNLIB), which currently would go into the
> CERN repository but are useful outside.
>
> The question is where to store these - I don't want such things to
> become "CERN"-additions, but to be available to the wider community. We
> could put them into the CERN "extras" repository and then mirror (I
> think Connie already takes things from there), but I think some specific
> section on scientificlinux.org would be more appropriate (including
> instructions for package authors).

How about an orthogonal project like scirpm.org, that would provide
packages for SL as well as Fedora Core and other non-Enterprise
distros?

I know that it is very difficult to introduce Enterprise distros on
end-user desktops in academic research/universities at least in
Germany, and there was already some small (momentum) within the Fedora
Core Community in the past to create the above scientific oriented
repo. So extending to/embracing Fedora Core would perhaps make sense.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net