SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

October 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:33:59 -0500
Please test .

-connie sieh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:00:53 -0500
From: Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New yum in SL41 contrib

Howdy,
In preparation for S.L. 42, I have built the new 2.4 yum.  For the S.L.
4x series, we needed to move to yum 2.4, which has the ability to have
plugins.
Why do we need plugins?
Well, because it is the easiest way for us to deal with kernel modules.
Many thanks go to the yum team for their continual development, and many
more thanks go to Panu Matilainen for creating the kernel-module plugin.
In addition, we also have yumex (Yum Extender), and yumex-applet.
yumex is a very nice graphical front ent to yum.  My favorite part is
the ability to select, and deselect repositories.
yumex-applet replaces the normal rhn update throbber.  It looks the
exact same, it's just that it uses yum and yumex as the back end.

How to get these now?
   yum --enable=sl-contrib update yum\*
   yum --enable=sl-contrib install yumex\*

Please give them a try.
If nothing else, the new yum will automatically get your openafs kernel
module for you with this kernel that is out, and soon to hit the errata
area. (we're still getting everything finallized)

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468