SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2005

From:
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:20:56 +0100
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:36:31 +0100
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:49:39 -0500
> Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Owen,
> > nedit is my favorite editor, so my first thought is always, hmm ...
> > maybe we can.
> > The problem is, that by your own arguments, we can't put 5.5 in the next
> >   minor release.
> > Why?
> > Let's say we put it in Scientific Linux 4.2.  Then all of the machines
> > with 4.2, will have nedit 5.5, and all the ones on with 4.1 and 4.0 will
> > have 5.4.  And if these two versions of nedit clash ... well then a
> > large set of people are now going to have several machines with both
> > versions, and they are going to have problems all over.
> >
> > So, currently, the best we can do is put it in the contrib section if
> > you get us an rpm for nedit 5.5.
> >
> > Troy
>
> So should I include an attachment to you ?
>
> where should I upload it and can I make it dependent on open motif rather than lesstif?
>
> Do I need to sign this work with a pgp key etc. (Never done this yet)
>
> Regards
>
> Owen
>
> PS
>
> mixing
>
> Christian Metzen <[log in to unmask]>
>
> work for ccux-linux.de and the nedit source download works.
>
> The only other issue is do we have open motif packaged?

We do I think, I can get it via apt and yum so its definitely available

> Regards
>
> Owen Synge

This URL

http://repository.ccux-linux.de/pub/ccux/SRPMS.stable/nedit-5.5-1.src.rpm

makes an rpm.

The source code included in this rpm is also identical to that down-loadable at nedits web site

$md5sum *
48cb3dce52d44988f3a4d7c6f47b6bbe  nedit-5.5-src.tar.bz2
48cb3dce52d44988f3a4d7c6f47b6bbe  nedit-5.5-src.tar.bz2.nedit.org

Regards

Owen

PS

Now linked my debian box with Motif based version (A Little overriding required) as this may be the route cause of my errors. I shall let you know in a week or two if this cures this issue with 5.4/5.5 incompatibilities.