SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:26:40 +0200
Hallo Jan,

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Jan Iven wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:44 -0500, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
>> Do note that there is some expectation that RHEL 5 will be released late
>> 2006.
>
> Interesting, this certainly would affect release planning for CERN. Any
> pointers or insights?
> We've been told that RHEL5 <- FC5 <- FC4+rawhide <- FC4. The repository
> fork between FC4 and rawhide apparently has already happened.

I talked to a Red Hat person at a hardware vendor event two weeks ago. The
statements I got:

  o RHEL5 will be based on FC5

  o It will be released rather more than 18 months after RHEL4 because

    - there aren't all that many new features available yet
    - the main new feature will be virtualization
    - this requires a stable Xen 3 to be available for integration
    - the majority of their (major) customers still mainly use RHEL3,
      hence no point in creating yet another new release early

  o If there's pressure for new hardware support or minor new features,
    they may rather extend the full/deployment support period of RHEL4
    instead.

That's gossip, of course. However, there are some facts as well:

Remembering that RHEL4 beta 1 was available a week after FC3-Test2
and looking at http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/ ,
I would not expect an RHEL5 public beta before mid december, and no
RHEL5 product before June.

I'm afraid you may be in trouble with your deadline.

Cheers,
 	Stephan

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |