SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:17:35 +0200
Hi Troy,

I think that's the right thing to do. 1.2.13 has proven rock solid here on
32-bit, and amd64. In particular, it put an end to instabilities of our
dual Opterons running 64-bit SL we observed with 1.2.11.

Even the server packages meanwhile received a fair bit of testing here
(32-bit only, though, and these are filservers only, not db), and we
haven't observed any problems.

In my opinion there's also nothing that needs changing except removing
or changing the init info. One thing that could be done is to use the
rxdebug check in on_network, because rxdebug since 1.2.13 works on x86_64
and probably on ia64 as well, although still I can't check that.

There's still the dispute over dynroot, though. But then, CERN seem to
be rolling their own anyway (?) and noone else ever seriously complained
;-)

Cheers,
 	Stephan

PS I'm about to build 1.4.0rc5 packages for SL 4.1. Unless someone
    beats me to it. They're going to release 1.4 soon, and we should
    probably look at it.

PPS Are you planning to create a 3.0.6? I'd much appreciate it, but
     I also figure it's becoming more tedious with every minor release...

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Howdy,
> I want a second or third opinion on this.
> Currently, there are 3 different openafs versions on the S.L. 3.0.x versions.
> SL 301 - openafs-1.2.10
> SL 302,3,4 - openafs-1.2.11
> SL 305 - openafs-1.2.13
>
> I believe I said before, that with the next security kernel update, I'd like
> to move them all up to the same version.  If I didn't, I meant to.
>
> Does this sound like a good idea?  (I still think it does)
>
> If it does, I was planning on doing openafs-1.2.13-15.17.SL
> This is the same openafs as was released in S.L. 3.0.5, but has the init
> script fixed to work properly with LSB.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Troy

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |