SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:49:59 +0200
Connie,

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Connie Sieh wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  So I assume that this new version fixes the
> font problem.

My build of -97.EL does. I'd much rather roll out an "official" build,
though.

We also received first complaints about the font problem from users. The
problem won't show up as long as xfs isn't restarted (and that doesn't
happen during the package update, and not even due to "init3; init 5"),
which is probably why it doesn't show up very often - yet. Of course it
also seems not to affect most applications.

We haven't encountered the PCI config space issue yet, but it's still the
one that scares me more.

   Stephan

> -Connie Sieh
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Jon Peatfield wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Connie Sieh wrote:
>>
>>> Stephan,
>>>
>>> I guess I was going to ask the audience(this list) if we should put it
>>> in.  I started to download it yesterday before I realized it was not a
>>> security errata.  I say to put it in.
>>
>> For what it's worth since the font corruption the previous update
>> introduced was a serious pain for us we switched directly to the -97.EL
>> release rather the going via the "security update" first.  After some
>> testing we rolled it out to 240 machines on Monday morning (along with
>> some changes to our default session handling which we have to get in
>> before Term starts).
>>
>> So far there have been no problems associated with this -- though our new
>> default (Gnome) session is causing some complaints :-/

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    | mobile                         |
| Germany          | email                          |