SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:16:50 -0500
Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just saw scientificlinux on the net and wonder where the
> advantages compared to other distributions (e.g. centOS)
> are. I suppose that I can use the same packages!?
> Is it more suitable for scientific work like the name
> implies?

This is a question I think we'll need to put up on the FAQ page.  It's a
good one, that get's asked enough.  But for now, here is at least what I
feel the answer is.

First off, we believe that CentOS and Scientific Linux are both
compatible, for the most part.  We don't guarantee that, but since both
distributions strive to be RHEL compatible, and we believe both have
achieved that goal, we feel that they are compatible.
Second off, we do not feel they are 'competitors'.  (I know that wasn't
in your question, but others ask it)  Many of the main developers are on
the same mailing lists, and we try to help each other out whenever
feasible.  There is cooperation between our two distributions.

So, to the main question, what is different.

One of S.L. goals is for a person to install the release they want
(let's say S.L. 3.0.2) and be able to sit at that release and know that
nothing is going to change except security errata.  That is why you will
see that we still have 3.0.1, 3.0.2, etc...  This is because several of
the experiments or labs have tested 'this particular release' whatever
that release is, and they don't want anything changing on it.
CentOS is different in that their releases get upgraded to the 'head'
release after it is released.  So if you installed what we consider
3.0.4, and then when 3.0.5 came out, you would automatically be upgraded.
We aren't saying one is better than the other, just that that is a
difference.  We are putting things in place so that if a person wants to
have S.L. automatically update to the latest they can, but that won't be
the default.

Another difference is the concept of 'sites' in Scientific Linux.  This
is something that is different ... from any other linux release that I
know.  It is a way for a 'site' (like a lab or a University) to put in
various changes, like scripts, rpm's, installer changes, and customize
their site, yet still retain S.L. compatiblilty and continue to get the
security updates.  This is how we create Scientific Linux Fermi, and I
believe there are a few others that use this functionality.

Our sponsors are different.
Scientific Linux is mainly sponsored by scientific lab's and
Universities around the world.  Mostly by Fermilab and CERN.  There are
other's that contribute and help, most definatly.  But those are our
main sponsors.
CentOS is a purely community based OS.  All of their sponsors, their
servers, bandwidth, and contibutions have come completely from the
community.
This difference tends to give each of us a different point of view when
looking at various ways of developing our releases.

Is Scientific Linux better for scientific applications?
Basically it is called Scientific Linux because it is made by scientific
labs, for scientific labs and universities.  It is not named Scientific
Linux because it has the largest collection of scientific programs.  It
was named back when it was small, and only the scientific labs were
using it.

> And a small OT question. If there are certain packages
> missing, is it possible to build them using an existing
> rpmsrc-Package from fedora and install it? I am actually
> using archlinux right now and like the ability to build own
> packages.

Certainly, although I would suggest looking to see if someone else has
already compiled them.  Check out our repository site

https://www.scientificlinux.org/community/repo/

> Best Greetings!
> Fabian

Troy Dawson