SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:32:51 -0500
Ioannis Vranos said...

|I am using SL 4.1 so I have no experience with SL 3.x. However generally speaking, Mozilla
|has announced that it has ceased further development of Mozilla suite, so it might be a
|good idea to migrate to firefox or another browser now (sooner), than later, since you
|will have to migrate anyway. My recommendation is Firefox.

We moved most of the Mozilla users to firefox, but
the firefox crashes have put a stop to that.

|I am using
|
|[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa |grep firefox
|firefox-1.0.6-1.4.1
|[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa |grep jre
|jre-1.5.0_04-fcs
|[root@localhost ~]#

We tried that version of Firefox and a couple
1.7 variants, as well as that version
of Java and the 1.4.2.

|under SL 4.1 and have experienced no crashes, hang ups or anything. Perhaps it is either a
|distribution or a hardware problem. My usual suspect of hardware failure is RAM, and a
|nice free program to thoroughly and safely check your RAM is memtest86. You may download
|it from http://www.memtest86.com.

It happens consistently on every machine
we have tried, from 1200MHz AMDs to 3GHz
Pentiums,  It happens on dozens of systems,
many of which have been recently tested
with memtest86.

Thanks, though.  At this point I suspect
a 3.0.4 issue, but have no idea if it's
present with RedHat.  (We are preparing
to buy a ahdnful of RH licenses for just
such issues.)  I'm hoping to hear from
3.0.4 users now.