SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:13:34 +0300
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> We've just rolled out SL 3.0.4 across
> the company.  Apparently none of the
> testers tried certain things with the
> browsers.
>
> Mozilla 1.7 hangs completely if we
> try to go to www.mozilla.org -> Products
> -> mozilla or firefox (ironic, eh?)
> It doesn't matter if Java and JavaScript
> are turned on or off.
>
> It also sometimes comes up with just
> gray windows for eother the browser
> or the mailer.
>
> Firefox doesn't have this problem,
> but using either Java 1.4.2 or the
> jre-1.5.0_04-fcs.i586 RPM, recent
> releases of firefox crash as soon
> as you try to load a page that uses
> Java.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations
> for either of these issues (beyond
> switching to yet another browser)?
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

I am using SL 4.1 so I have no experience with SL 3.x. However generally speaking, Mozilla
has announced that it has ceased further development of Mozilla suite, so it might be a
good idea to migrate to firefox or another browser now (sooner), than later, since you
will have to migrate anyway. My recommendation is Firefox.

I am using

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa |grep firefox
firefox-1.0.6-1.4.1
[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa |grep jre
jre-1.5.0_04-fcs
[root@localhost ~]#

under SL 4.1 and have experienced no crashes, hang ups or anything. Perhaps it is either a
distribution or a hardware problem. My usual suspect of hardware failure is RAM, and a
nice free program to thoroughly and safely check your RAM is memtest86. You may download
it from http://www.memtest86.com.