SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:20:10 -0500
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Livio B wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious about a couple of things that I cannot find addressed in
> the FAQ or other docs (maybe I didn't look hard enough?).
>
> - What is the kernel updating policy for SL? I mean, will SL4 (even 4.1)
> stay with 2.6.9 for all of its lifetime? Or will it eventually get updated
> to 2.6.12+ (when? how?).

It follows the Upstream Vendor.  I do not think that the Upstream Vendor
will moved from 2.6.9 for the "4" series.

I assume the Upstream Vendor will move to "something newer" for the "5"
series.

> - Why some of the drivers have been skipped in the compilation of the
> kernel? For example the audio drivers ad1848 and cs243x have not been
> compiled either as part of the kernel nor as modules, just skipped.

The Upstream Vendor decided that.

If we had changed the kernel from what the Upstream Vendor had done we
would have documented it in the SL.releasenote

> Maybe this is just what the original vendor does, but I couldn't find an
> answer for that distribution either.

Most of the "skipped" modules were done so because the Upstream Vendor
either did not want to support them or because the Upstream Vendor thinks
they are too broken(firewire)

> Thanks

-Connie Sieh