SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Marco La Rosa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marco La Rosa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:23:45 +1000
Hi all,

Thanx for the responses!

Not long after sending the first email I was looking on the sl304 CD and
found the comps.xml and pkgorder files. Using the comps.xml file I built
a list of necessary rpms using the core and base sections and then
ordered them using pkgorder.

Using:

rpm -ivh --nodeps --root /new-chroot package-blah-123.rpm

I built myself a system. Well, it became a system following multiple:

rpm -Va --root /new-chroot  followed by more package installation,
followed by rpm -vA

	--> well, you get the gist.

That worked fine except the base system ending up being something like
600Mb! (I think my debian system was something like 200Mb) A quick
google search turned up a heated debate as to why RH makes their base
system so big (which stopped me from writing to the list and complaining
about redhat ;-)

After looking around some more, I stumbled across rpmstrap. I gave it my
original minimal list (just the base and core rpms) and it died
spectacularly! Tried it again with my sanctioned, enormous (600 Mb)
package list and it worked. But, it didn't occur to me to try the centos
list. I'll give that a go and see how big their system is.

So, I have one question:
Is my base system about the correct size (what is expected)?

So that's my experience with building a base (or something like that)
SciLin (RH) system without using the gui.

Parents, tell your children not to try this at home! ;)

Thanx again,
Marco.