SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:34:14 -0500
hilare wrote:
> Hello Troy,
>

> Very well seen: i am currently downloading ( only the
> first ) RH9 CD from Redhat. I will report you the
> result.
>

> To answer to your ""What classifies your cd's
> as'certified'?  Which test did you run on them?"":
>
> nothing except the manufacturer's, TDK, "certified
> for" mention... and the fact that i am using this
> brand, and others, for years without _any_ problem.

On comment on the "I've always used this brand."  We used to always use
Fuji, a certain type of Fuji.  Until we started getting errors on them.
  Then when we checked, they had changed the manufacturer out from under us.
Fuji doesn't really make CD's, Maxell dosn't really make CD, Imation
doesn't really make CD's, and I'm fairly certain TDK doesn't really make
CD's.  They all just rebrand someone elses.  And they can all change
whoever they are branding without telling anyone, and without changing
any packaging.
I'm not a windows person, so I can't tell you how to tell the
manufacturer in windows ... but I'm pretty sure that Nero has the
functionality to check, it really is branded into all CD's.  I would
look for something like CD Info or something.
On a related note that I thought was funny.  When my DVD burner wasn't
making good DVD's, I bought a wide variety of DVD's, from expensive to
very cheap.  When I finally got a program on windows to tell me who the
DVD manufacturer was ... all the different brands I had boughten, were
really the same DVD.

> Just let me write how i burn my (precious) datas _and_
> operating system CD ( i am not so carefull with
> softwares ):
>
> 1/ shut down any overclocking, even for the graphic
> card, and return to nominal speeds and voltages.
>
> 2/ shut down network interfaces, services, softwares.
>
> 3/ flag the iso as 'read only'
>
> 4/ md5sum check
>
> 5/ mount the iso and scan against virus
>
> 6/ unmount

Personally, I would then do a md5sum check again on the iso to make sure
the virus scan didn't do anything.
And ... I believe there is a 6.0 step of 'Start Burning'

> 6.a/ play guitar while the computer is burning CD
>
> 7/ check for the cd-burner software report
> 7.a) buffer overrun OK
> 7.b) burning OK
> 7.c) comparaison iso / burned ( nero & K3b ) OK
>
> 7/ eject the disc and re-insert it on the second CD
> player ( in fact a DVD player )
>
> 8/ mount the iso image and check via windiff/diff that
> the content is equal to the content of the CD disc...
>
> 9/ ...and check for no IO errors in the system log
>
> 10/ read randomly some files
>

> I think this is rather 'paranoid', but i allow myself
> to say that my CD are _perfectly_ burned.

Personally, I would change the steps to be

1. Boot into linux
2. Burn them from the linux side

But that's me.

> So, that is why i am surprised with the failure of the
> CD verification feature during the install.
>
> An explanation may be related to my motherboard ( asus
> P4P800 ) which already had a problem with Fedora Core
> ( 2 or 3, i don't remember ): the install procedure
> destroyed the master boot record. Clearly this
> motherboard may have some problem with a Linux release
> not perfect regarding the IO bios section.
>
> I think i also will download centos to verify this
> point, and i will report you the results.

I think that would be a good test as well.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468