SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 06:00:34 -0700
Hello,

i feel sorry because i have made you waste your time.

I will spare you details, in fact one of the CD drive
was engaged in a 'slow dying' process for several
month now. I already have had this kind of progressive
crap with a nic card, but obviously i discovered it a
little bit too late.

To summarize:

- it was already clear that the md5sum from SL305 /
i386 are correct on SL sites

- the SL305 discs perfectly support the "media check"
feature during the install process, and pass the test
with success

- this also is true for my old SL4.0 disc ( initialy
reported false by the slow dying CD drive ). I do not
have the SL304 disc anymore, but i now am very
confident they were in fact OK

- not surprisingly, RH9 first disc autocheck was
reported false by the bad hardware, and OK by the good
CD drive

- just to had to happiness, SL305 and SL4.0 install
without a glitch on a P4P800 with both IDE and SATA
drives ( a little exploit, believe it ). Some tricks
for the owners of this motherboard:

1/ for IDE conf, stay on: enhanced mode / SATA ( this
is not true if you are using an old Ms system )

2/ keep the number of usb port on 8, do not try
'highspeed' and stay on 'fullspeed'. Anyway the bios
hangs on those points, and your only option will be to
clear the CMOS

3/ W2K reports nothing during the install, but if
Linux installer ( 2.4 or 2.6 kernel ) is going on a
race for acquiring a mysterious IRQ18, or swing
between trying to acquire IRQ11 and trying to put the
CD drive on 'sleeping mode': try another CD/DVD drive,
you will spare your time

4/ the inversion of harddisks order in Grub advanced
install option does _not_ work ( the install will fail
during the post install process ), you _must_ invert
the order of the harddisks in BIOS before installing (
and then no need to use the Grub option ). That said,
this is working great for dual booting

Will they marry, have a lot of children and live a
long and happy life, is clearly beyond the topic ;-)

So back to the main thing: thank you everybody for
your answers, very usefull

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs