SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:38:56 -0700
Hello Troy,

Very well seen: i am currently downloading ( only the
first ) RH9 CD from Redhat. I will report you the
result.

To answer to your ""What classifies your cd's
as'certified'?  Which test did you run on them?"":

nothing except the manufacturer's, TDK, "certified
for" mention... and the fact that i am using this
brand, and others, for years without _any_ problem.

Just let me write how i burn my (precious) datas _and_
operating system CD ( i am not so carefull with
softwares ):

1/ shut down any overclocking, even for the graphic
card, and return to nominal speeds and voltages.

2/ shut down network interfaces, services, softwares.

3/ flag the iso as 'read only'

4/ md5sum check

5/ mount the iso and scan against virus

6/ unmount

6.a/ play guitar while the computer is burning CD

7/ check for the cd-burner software report
7.a) buffer overrun OK
7.b) burning OK
7.c) comparaison iso / burned ( nero & K3b ) OK

7/ eject the disc and re-insert it on the second CD
player ( in fact a DVD player )

8/ mount the iso image and check via windiff/diff that
the content is equal to the content of the CD disc...

9/ ...and check for no IO errors in the system log

10/ read randomly some files

I think this is rather 'paranoid', but i allow myself
to say that my CD are _perfectly_ burned.

So, that is why i am surprised with the failure of the
CD verification feature during the install.

An explanation may be related to my motherboard ( asus
P4P800 ) which already had a problem with Fedora Core
( 2 or 3, i don't remember ): the install procedure
destroyed the master boot record. Clearly this
motherboard may have some problem with a Linux release
not perfect regarding the IO bios section.

I think i also will download centos to verify this
point, and i will report you the results.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs