SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:07:50 -0700
Hello Daniel,

English is not my mother-tongue, and i guess i was not
clear.

The answer is in the first source of documentation:
the man page(*), which stated for the cdrecord padding
factor: ""Use this option if your CD-drive is not able
to read the last sectors of a track or if you want to
be able to read the CD on a Linux system with the
ISO-9660 filesystem read ahead bug""

This warning combined with IBM link ( the IBM howto
does not tell a word about padding factore, and when
IBM doesn't speak about a feature, they are very few
reasons: a) IBM doesn't know anything about it - you
can rate this near to null; b) IBM perfectly knows the
feature, but it is not compatible with its
hardware/software. Very bad mouthing :-) ; c) the
feature is at best useless, and at worst dangerous )
lead me to say ""the advise on specifying padsize for
writing a CD may required some attention before being
used"".

In fact forcing dao ( disk at once ) is the _standard_
solution ( except for specific bad hardwares, as
stated by the man page ) to avoid CDrom reading
problems.

(*) links for the man page:

http://node1.yo-linux.com/cgi-bin/man2html?cgi_command=cdrecord&cgi_section=&cgi_keyword=m

That being said, i will try this padding factor for
writing 'on the fly' DVD ( not CD, because they gives
me no problem excepting the SL ones ;-) ), which
always gives me a lot IO errors at reading time,
opposite to first generating an iso DVD image which
always leads to 'no problem' at reading time.

I hope i am clear now ?

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cdburn.html

http://www.uk.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

http://applications.linux.com/applications/04/11/16/1555246.shtml?tid=13&tid=47