SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:25:08 -0500
hilare wrote:
> Thank you, Connie and Troy, for answering so fast. I
> am currently downloading the first iso image to solve
> my md5sum unfortunate experience.
>

> Regarding the second point ( no problem with CDrom
> capabalities up to 800Mo write/read, either with
> W2K/Nero or various SL/Xcdroast/K3b. Currently i am
> using 700Mo certified - TDK - CDroms ):

What classifies your cd's as 'certified'?  Which test did you run on them?

> 1/ i am aware that the autocheck disk is an option (
> but a strong one: the only way to skip it is to press
> a very well named button ""skip CD verification"",
> which is more than 'incentive' regarding laws and
> professional responsibility )
>
> 2/ i am sure this is a good feature ( i used it since
> RH9 from ftp.redhat.com )
>
> 3/ but this never had reported OK with SL for me ( RH9
> always was OK, not on the same hardware than SL, but i
> do not have this hardware anymore, nor i have the RH9
> CD ). Do you mean that you, or anybody, had success
> with it ?

Yes
I knew I had already tested all of the 3.0.4 i386 CD's, but I have
reburned another batch, and the 4.0's. Every one of 3.0.5 and 4.0 i386
CD's have passed that test.

I don't know what else to say.

> Anyway, i am ready to provide you any information if
> you need them, in order to help you on this topic.
>
> In particular, you guess that i am ready to burn and
> install SL305/i386 32bits (from W2K/Nero), and very
> soon SL4.1 or 4.rolling (from SL305/K3b), so, if you
> want to ask me anything for a testing purpose, feel
> free to do so, i will spent the needed time on it. I
> don't know if this is related, but i never had
> obtained the original md5sum from an iso burned ( and
> previously checked md5sum ok ), and then re-extracted
> as an image. Maybe is this an other way to say what
> Troy stated as ""Not all CD media is created equal""
> ?, but this is not explaining why RH9 CD verification
> was ok and SL never (for me).

You could try burning the RH9 cd's, on the same media, in the same way,
and see if they all pass the test.  That's the only test I can think of.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468