SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Bill Feero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Feero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:11:14 -0400
Troy (and everyone else)

What I've found out is the group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf (group: files ldap)
will always try to connect to the ldap server.

It also sends a DNS request for it's own hostname. That is where the long timeout happens.
If I add the hostname to /etc/hosts, then local users can login even if the network is down.

I don't know why it's doing the DNS request - does anyone have any ideas?

At least now I can have local users login when the network is down.

Bill

--
Bill Feero
Logical Solutions, Inc.