SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:13:03 -0700
Greetings.  We're running RHEL AS on a Dell PowerEdge 2400:

     # cat /etc/redhat-release
     Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 5)

The disk drives are SCSI disk drives, all of which are attached to a
PERC RAID controller.  This particular RAID controller appears to be an:

     American Megatrends (AMI) PERC2/DC

There are four logical volumes (two mirrors, two RAID 5), presented to
the OS as sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd.

The system BIOS and PERC BIOS are both at the latest stable levels (A08
and 1.06, resp.).

We'd like to be able to run SL on all of our linux boxes.  As a step in
that direction, we tried to install SL 4.1 on this PowerEdge.  Anaconda
reports that it cannot find any hard drives on this system.  The SL 4.0
installer reports the same thing.

As an experiment, we tried running the SL 3.0.5 installer.  That
installer kvetches about the partition alignment, but it allows as how
we can probably ignore the problem, and Disk Druid does indeed show all
the existing partitions.  As we didn't really want SL 3.0.5 installed,
we didn't take this any further.

It really would be best if we could get SL 4.1 installed.  If you have
any suggestions about this, please send them to me.

Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966