SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:08:56 -0500
Hi,
Have you tried using yum instead of apt, and see if the same error's
occur?  I know I'm biased towards yum, but sometime's it does things
different than apt, so if the one works, it's always good to try the other.

About system-config-packages
https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/features/limitations
It's broke, don't use it.  You were lucky it even worked once.  Don't
look at us, look at the people with a colored head ornament, who are
actually working on replacing it. it's only included for dependancies
sake.  Need I go on.

Troy

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that I have some problems with dag's repository
> concerning package dependence.
>
>   rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/el4/en/i386 dag
>
> Those problems arise when I try to install 'mediawiki' from
> dag, I get:

>   mediawiki: Depends: php (>= 4.3.11) but 4.3.9-3.8 is to be
>   installed
>   E: Broken packages
>
> So it seems that dag's repository is not fully 'supporting'
> the SL repository!?
>
> And I noticed some problems in conjunction with the
> atrpms-packages and dag's repository. I used:
>
>  rpm http://dl.atrpms.net el4-i386/atrpms stable
>
> and tried to install 'synaptic'; similar unmet dependencies
> are displayed:
>
>  The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>    synaptic: Depends: apt (= 1:0.5.15cnc7) but 0.5.15cnc6-9.SL is to be installed
>              Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.2
>              Depends: rpm (= 4.4.1) but 4.3.3-9_nonptl is to be installed
>  E: Broken packages
>
> Apt tries to install the package from atrpms; the atrpms-packages are newer and
> don't fit to SL and dag at all!?
>

> And  I get one last problem with packages using 'system-config-packages'. I did
> a minimal installation and used apt for the rest afterwards. Now, running
> 'system-config-packages' I tried to install the 'gnome desktop environment'
> with the recommended packages. The installation fails due to
> dependency-problems with
>
>  ('openssh', '3.9p1-8.RHEL4.4')
>  ('dbus', '0.22-12.EL.2')
>
> but both packages are installed. When I install most of the recommended gnome
> packages by hand with apt, 'system-config-packages' does not recognize it!?
>
> Would be nice, if anybody has any suggestions... maybe, I should try something
> like fedora to get more packages!?
>
> Greetings!
> Fabian

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468