SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:46:31 -0700
Greetings.  We're running a mix of Scientific Linux (SL) versions on
Intel and AMD processors.  All of our "production" systems are still
running SL 3.0.3.

We noticed some time ago that the daily cron job to do yum updates
(/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron) was "hanging" routinely.  I.e., there would
routinely be various yum-related tasks in the 'S' (sleeping) state on
our systems.  These sleeping tasks would prevent the yum cron job from
running on succeeding days.

We never found out the cause of the problem, but we did alleviate the
problem by removing yum.cron and scheduling our own daily yum updates.
Logically I wouldn't have expected there to be any difference in the
results produced by the two methods, but things did seem to work better
after removing yum.cron.

Nevertheless, regardless of the yum voodoo that we try to apply, we
still are plagued by the "hanging-yum" problem.  I was recently on
vacation for about a week, and I found half a dozen or so systems with
suspended yum-update jobs when I returned.

I'd be glad to get suggestions for ways to eliminate this problem.
Maybe just updating to a newer version of SL would be enough to do the
trick?

Thanks.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966