SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:40:21 -0700
Thank you, Connie and Troy, for answering so fast. I
am currently downloading the first iso image to solve
my md5sum unfortunate experience.

Regarding the second point ( no problem with CDrom
capabalities up to 800Mo write/read, either with
W2K/Nero or various SL/Xcdroast/K3b. Currently i am
using 700Mo certified - TDK - CDroms ):

1/ i am aware that the autocheck disk is an option (
but a strong one: the only way to skip it is to press
a very well named button ""skip CD verification"",
which is more than 'incentive' regarding laws and
professional responsibility )

2/ i am sure this is a good feature ( i used it since
RH9 from ftp.redhat.com )

3/ but this never had reported OK with SL for me ( RH9
always was OK, not on the same hardware than SL, but i
do not have this hardware anymore, nor i have the RH9
CD ). Do you mean that you, or anybody, had success
with it ?

Anyway, i am ready to provide you any information if
you need them, in order to help you on this topic.

In particular, you guess that i am ready to burn and
install SL305/i386 32bits (from W2K/Nero), and very
soon SL4.1 or 4.rolling (from SL305/K3b), so, if you
want to ask me anything for a testing purpose, feel
free to do so, i will spent the needed time on it. I
don't know if this is related, but i never had
obtained the original md5sum from an iso burned ( and
previously checked md5sum ok ), and then re-extracted
as an image. Maybe is this an other way to say what
Troy stated as ""Not all CD media is created equal""
?, but this is not explaining why RH9 CD verification
was ok and SL never (for me).