SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:00:40 -0500
Michael Mansour wrote:
>>Stephen Hawking wrote:
>>
>>>When I open Add/Remove Applications it asks me for password and then
>>>it says that /media/cdrecorder is not a valid installation tree.How
>>>can i fix that?
>>>Regards,
>>
>>This program does not work, it never has.  It is only installed
>>because of dependancies.  We believe we can get a patch in that
>>removes it without breaking depencies in S.L. 4.2, so that this
>>question does not get asked.  (You are not the first, and I believe
>>you will not be the last)
>>
>>The prefered way of adding and removing packages is by yum, or you
>>could use apt.  If you wish a graphical installer, apt has one
>>called synaptic.
>

> yum also has graphical features if you look hard enough :)
>
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/GNOME-Interface-for-YUM-3671.shtml

Hmmm ... looks nice, but since it's still at 0.1, I say we'll watch it
and see how it progresses.

> http://fedoranews.org/tchung/yumex/

Looks nice.
Needs the lates yum (2.4), which requires it's own dependancies.
I think my favorite feature of it is the ability to easily add or remove
repositories to your list.

> http://www.cobind.com/yumgui.html   (Dag's repo supplies rpm's for this one)

This actually is in S.L. 3.0.x, but it is no longer supported.  So it
never went into S.L. 4.x.

> Regards,
>
> Michael.

On the same subject, Fedora/RedHat is working on replacing the
add/remove packages with something much better.  It's codename is pup,
and it's currently in the testing area of fedora.

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future

It still has a ways to go, and currently isn't even up to 'up2date''s
speed.  But I've seen the roadmap for the program.  It isn't a throw
everything together quickly then smooth out the edges program.  It is a
'get this part working really good, then move on to the next part'
program.  So  I believe it will be one of those programs where it
'looks' like nothing until suddenly it just works great.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468