SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 06:31:04 +1000
Hi,

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Connie Sieh wrote:
>
> > > It would be nice if the xfs modules could be packaged as a separate rpm,
> > > and not as a whole new kernel. I wonder if this is possible without
> > > affecting the rest of the kernel?
> >
> > It might be.  If you want to research this then please do.
>
> Did anything ever come of this?  I can possibly help test if needed.
>  I'm about to start looking at moving to SL41 for a few systems
> where SL3 isn't suitable -- in preparation for upgrading the rest of
> our systems later.
>
> > > CONFIG_XFS_FS=m
> > > CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m
> > > CONFIG_JFS_FS=m
> > >
> > > to the end of each of the kernel-*.config files in the source rpm. This
> > > made each of the file systems as modules.
> > >
> > > If people are interested, they can get RPMS with xfs, reiser and jfs
> > > enabled here:
> > >
> > > http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/data/rpms/
>
> I see that this no longer exists...
>
> > > I've also rebuilt the utility packages from Fedora which allow fsck, and
> > > making the file systems (xfsprogs, reiserfs-utils and jfsutils).
> >
> > Thanks very much for researching and making these rpms available.
> > These can be included in contrib now.  Is that ok with you?
>
> In my rsync'd copy of the SL41 tree I see binary contrib rpms for x86_64
> of kernel with xfs but nothing for any of the other platforms and no
> srpms.  Of course my mirror might be broken...
>
> i386/contrib/SRPMS/xfs/ (etc) exists but only seems to contain
> xfsprogs and I'm not really sure why those srpms are not under the
> toplevel SRPMS tree (is contrib really special?)

I use the XFS kernel from here:

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40/i386/contrib/RPMS/xfs/

for my SL40 release.

I also noticed here:

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/40/i386/contrib/SRPMS/xfs/

they do have the src rpm for that kernel.

I would hope that whomever contributed the original XFS enabled RPMs would
continue contributing as the kernels were updated, but without that happening,
I'm hoping one day to have the time to upgrade the XFS enabled kernels myself.
Actually, if I find this time, I'll be happy to maintain the contrib kernels
tree for support of this under SL.

> > > Presumably building these as modules should not affect the rest of the
> > > kernel if they are unused, although the kernels haven't gone through QA...
> > > It would be nice if the modules could be built as kernel addon packages,
> > > though I don't know it this is possible yet.
> >
> > If you could research this it would be appreciated.
>
> By me too!

And I'm sure alot of other people too (me included) :) It would be good to
have a "fork" of SL3/4-xfs/jfs/etc enabled kernels in contrib (or better yet
just the modules enabling the support) that is actually maintained, similar to
what they have in CentOS, but unfortunately this isn't the case at the moment.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------