SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Klaus Wacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:24:20 +0200
On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:30:07AM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Michael Mansour wrote:
> >If you really want to run an updatedb on each boot, I suggest you put it
> >into
> >your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file which gets read as the last rc file after all
> >other services are started.
> >
> >But I personally wouldn't do that.
>

> Thank you for this information Michael. Actually it is about my home PC,
> and it takes some time during boot indeed. However I was doing a manual
> updatedb before searching for some file, each time I wanted to perform such
> a search. Is there some other alternative, apart from not using indexing?

For a home PC which doesn't run regularly overnight, one should look
into anacron. Basically, anacron checks after bootup which of the
daily, weekly or monthly cron jobs were missed while the PC was off
and starts those after a specified delay.

Klaus

--
Klaus Wacker              [log in to unmask]
Experimentelle Physik V   http://www.physik.uni-dortmund.de/~wacker