SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Richard S Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard S Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:31:33 -0400
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 20:08, Jason Villemaire wrote:

> I downloaded the iso images for SL41 via website and checked the md5sum. OK.
>
> Then, created/Burned CD's and placed disc1 in drive.  The system boots to CD
> and the Scientific Linux screen comes up with the options for graphical,
> text, recovery etc.  Either pressing enter or allowing timeout (60 seconds)
> the "loading vmlinz....................." and "loading
> initrd.img..............." lines appear at the bottom looking as if
> everything is going to work.  The system then recycles and does the same
> thing over and over.

This sounds not entirely unlike the experience I had installing SL3x.
On the first two machines it went fine (including an ancient laptop that
doesn't even have enough RAM for SL to be supported... it gets away with
running it somehow anyway.)  On two others it would just hang somewhere
around the same time as yours.  They didn't restart, though, they just
hung.  The behavior was consistent, and the disks were fully readable on
the other computers.  I burned new copies and the same thing happened --
same computers liked/disliked the new copies as the old ones.

It may have been a media problem.  In any case I finally gave up on
installing from disks, and instead did the network install.  There was
only a promise of documentation on the SL site for the network install,
but I found web sites describing how to do it for you-know-whose Linux
distribution and it was easy to figure it out from there.  SL installed
fine on both machines.

- Rich Holmes