SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:38:47 +0200
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:16:29AM +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >Sorry, that was a typo, it is medley (in Greek "meigma"), not
> >"meldey".
>
> OK, actually I happen to be a Greek, and in Greek it translates more to
> "mosaiko" which means mosaic, and it is used in broad meaning too. :-)

Well, happens that I'm Greek, too, so the reference was intended. ;)

And a Pink Floyd fan. medley was an album with very different styles
of music mixed together, but still sounding nice. That's how I feel
about medley-package-config. :)

> >It can be found under
> >
> >http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/3rd-party-package-config/
> >
> >medley-package-config contains config files for yum/apt/smart/up2date
> >for all known repos for the given distribution.
> >
> >Be warned that while this expands your package horizon quite a bit,
> >the mix can be explosive in the sense that some packages in one repo
> >may conflict with other in other repos. In this case please report a
> >bug in bugzilla.atrpms.net, which hosts a shared bugzilla for all
> >non-vendor repos (not only atrpms), and the repos maintainer groups
> >will iron this out.
> >
> >If you want to run SL4 in production environments then please be very
> >carefull as to which repos you will activate. Scientific Linux as a
> >vendor itself can only directly support its own package pool. You will
> >probably find friendly advise here on packages from outside SL's
> >scope, but the proper addressees are the 3rd party repos the packages
> >came from.
> >
> >Having said that: enjoy the package ensemble!
>

> OK, actually I am using SL in my home PC only, but I appreciate its
> stability highly.
>
> BTW as far as I can understand you are one (or the one and only) of the
> ATrpms maintainers. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Formerly ATrpms was mainly pushed by me, but currently there
are more and more external contributions.

Let me know how medley/atrpms works for you.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net