SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ioannis Vranos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 04:16:29 +0300
Axel Thimm wrote:
> Sorry, that was a typo, it is medley (in Greek "meigma"), not
> "meldey".

OK, actually I happen to be a Greek, and in Greek it translates more to "mosaiko" which
means mosaic, and it is used in broad meaning too. :-)

> It can be found under
>
> http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/3rd-party-package-config/
>
> medley-package-config contains config files for yum/apt/smart/up2date
> for all known repos for the given distribution.
>
> Be warned that while this expands your package horizon quite a bit,
> the mix can be explosive in the sense that some packages in one repo
> may conflict with other in other repos. In this case please report a
> bug in bugzilla.atrpms.net, which hosts a shared bugzilla for all
> non-vendor repos (not only atrpms), and the repos maintainer groups
> will iron this out.
>
> If you want to run SL4 in production environments then please be very
> carefull as to which repos you will activate. Scientific Linux as a
> vendor itself can only directly support its own package pool. You will
> probably find friendly advise here on packages from outside SL's
> scope, but the proper addressees are the 3rd party repos the packages
> came from.
>
> Having said that: enjoy the package ensemble!

OK, actually I am using SL in my home PC only, but I appreciate its stability highly.

BTW as far as I can understand you are one (or the one and only) of the ATrpms
maintainers. Keep up the good work!