SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:13:07 -0500
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Hi Connie,
>
> * Connie wrote 15 Aug 2005:
>
> > Fabian,
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just install SL and try to adjust everything just like my
> > > archlinux-setup.
> > >
> > > For that I am missing some packages or I would like to
> > > upgrade some :-)
> > >
> > > I tried to set up the other repos which worked except the
> > > linux-ink makes problems; I don't understand/read russian,
> > > so I don't know what I have to write into the sources-list
> > > for apt.
> >
> > Use yum it is easier.
>
> But it looks slower and I am already used to apt since my
> Debian times.
> >

> > > For the missing packages I would try to get other (Suse or
> > > Fedora) rpm-source packages and run them under SL. Would
> > > that be enought? Actually I am missing the newsreader slrn,
> > > w3m and some emacs packages like auctex and preview-latex.
> > >
> > > Furthermore I would like to upgrade some packages like
> > > mutt and vim. I suppose I just have to  change the src.rpm
> > > files!?
> > >
> > > Another small problems makes the installation of the
> > > windowmanager wmii. There does not exist a rpm and I tried
> > > to install it by hand. Unfortunately it complains about
> > > missing 'X11/Xlib.h'. This should be in some package!?

> > yum provides X11/Xlib.h
> >
> > shows
> >
> > xorg-x11-devel                      6.8.2-1.EL.13.6        sl-base
> > Matched from:
> > /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h
> >
> > So a
> >
> > yum install xorg-x11-devel
> >
> > should install it.
>
> Strange, I actually was thinking that I installed the
> package. Now it works and most of the other
> programs too :-) Thanks.
>
> I downloaded some packages by hand from all over the net and
> used rpm to install them. Do I have to watch out which
> version numbers I install or does rpm do some kind of
> version-number check? I am bit afraid that I mix up the
> whole system.

rpm does dependency checking.  As long as you do not do --nodeps or
--force then that should be ok.

Note that if you install a "older" version then the yum/apt daily script
will try to update it to the latest.

> It would be nice, if anybody can share his experiences
> installing the newest software; I would like to know which
> repository and if it confirm with the one from SL!?
> Maybe, anybody has some sample sources-list files. I have:
>

> rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/el4/en/i386 dag
> rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/el3/en/i386 dag
> rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/el2.1/en/i386 dag

I suspect that you do not really want el3/en/i386 and el2.1/en/i386.

> rpm http://dl.atrpms.net fc4-i386/atrpms stable

And there can be lots of newer things in there that might cause problems.
If you want all of the fc4 rpms maybe you should install fc4.

> rpm http://apt.sw.be dries/redhat/el4/en/i386 dries
> rpm-src http://apt.sw.be dries/redhat/el4/en/i386 dries
>
> rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates freshrpms
> rpm-src http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates freshrpms

Why do you want redhat 9 rpms?

> rpm http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/ redhat/en/i386/fc1 newrpms
> rpm-src http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/ redhat/en/i386/fc1 newrpms

Same question , why do you want fc1?

> rpm ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org//linux/scientific/ 40/i386/apt os updates contrib
> #rpm ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org//linux/scientific/ 40/i386/apt contrib
>
> Is it a good choice or could I add more? I found a lot of
> packages with rpmseek and had to install them using rpm.
>
> Using apt, shouldn't it be possible to add some debian
> repositories and install deb-packages too? Would be nice.

All of this is way past anything that we want to do in a production
environment,  there is no way to support it.  For personal use then go for
it.

> Best Greetings!
> Fabian

-Connie Sieh