SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:30:12 +0200
Hi,

I did a few dozen SL4.1 (beta,rc,...) installations on different notebooks
during the past weeks, and have never seen anything like this.

But then these are kickstart installations, with a fairly lengthy
%post. Hence if your problem would be due to the disk not being
synced properly between the grub installation and the reboot, I wouldn't
encounter it.

Guess that's not too helpful,

 	Stephan

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Gerald Teschl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have a strange anaconda/grub problem which seems to be present
> since about fc3 (and is still here in sl4.{0,1}).
>
> After a kickstart installation, the box will not boot with a
> grub "failed to load stage 2" error. If I boot from cd in
> rescue mode and do a grub-install everythig is fine again.
> It seems to be prety random but happens here about 20% of
> the time. It happens on different hardware and if I start
> anaconda agian on a failed box it will just work fine the
> second time.
>
> I could not find anything via google. Is anybody else seeing
> this. I did not modify the installer apart from adding some
> extra rpms.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gerald

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |