SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2005

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 07:45:46 +0200
On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Axel Thimm wrote:

> This is more an RHEL4 question to be honest, but since there are
> anaconda experts around, I hope to be lucky :)

I'm no anaconda expert, but recently had the opposite problem of making
an unknown device (new flavour of intel gigabit NIC) known to anaconda.
It turned out an appropriate entry in modules/modules.pcimap on the initrd
is needed, otherwise anaconda would ignore the chip.

So I figure removing all traces of your HBAs from this file would do.

  Stephan

> I'm setting up automatic install systems for a variety of different
> EL4 type systems including among other SAN cluster nodes. The
> automatic install is a hook on anaconda emulationg (or replicating)
> what some Debian folks know as FAI.
>
> My concern is that configuring servers and cluster nodes is "too easy"
> now, and staf members might with a typo in the config file install on
> the wrong device as a system disk. E.g. wipe the SAN device insetad of
> the system disk (for example: Some nodes have and sda system disc,
> others an cciss/c0d0 and sda is the SAN device)
>
> Knowing that I will never install a system on a SAN device, is there
> an easy way to remove qla2xxx support in anaconda's bootstraping? That
> would be the safest way to allow any staff member to wildly
> (re)install nodes attached to the storage, as I will know that during
> installation the SAN will be invisible.
>
> Disabling the port on the switch does not help, as this safety
> precaution will soon be skipped by staff members, until someone really
> makes that typo ...
>
> Ideally I would only need to modify the initrd or similar, and not
> have to rebuild anaconda :/
>
> Thanks!

| Stephan Wiesand  |                                |
| DESY     - DV -  | phone  +49 33762 7 7370        |
| Platanenallee 6  | fax    +49 33762 7 7216        |
| 15738 Zeuthen    |                                |
| Germany          |                                |