SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

August 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 00:57:06 +0200
This is more an RHEL4 question to be honest, but since there are
anaconda experts around, I hope to be lucky :)

I'm setting up automatic install systems for a variety of different
EL4 type systems including among other SAN cluster nodes. The
automatic install is a hook on anaconda emulationg (or replicating)
what some Debian folks know as FAI.

My concern is that configuring servers and cluster nodes is "too easy"
now, and staf members might with a typo in the config file install on
the wrong device as a system disk. E.g. wipe the SAN device insetad of
the system disk (for example: Some nodes have and sda system disc,
others an cciss/c0d0 and sda is the SAN device)

Knowing that I will never install a system on a SAN device, is there
an easy way to remove qla2xxx support in anaconda's bootstraping? That
would be the safest way to allow any staff member to wildly
(re)install nodes attached to the storage, as I will know that during
installation the SAN will be invisible.

Disabling the port on the switch does not help, as this safety
precaution will soon be skipped by staff members, until someone really
makes that typo ...

Ideally I would only need to modify the initrd or similar, and not
have to rebuild anaconda :/

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net