SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2005

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 22:28:01 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 03:12:44PM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >ATrpms is supporting several RHL/FC/EL distros and is currently
> >reorganising them to a homogeneous layout under dl.atrpms.net, which
> >carries both ATrpms packages, but also vendor "release" and "updates"
> >packages, as well as upcoming other repos.
> >
> >The layout is basically described at
> >
> >http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-devel/2005-April/000696.html
> >
> >The repo used for EL4 "release" and "updates" is scientificlinux. I'd
> >like to ask, if I have been doing this sanely, or if I'm missing any
> >bits (I'm using RH donated RHEL copies to build ATrpms' packages):
> >
> >o http://dl.atrpms.net/sl${version}-$arch/scientificlinux/release
> >  contains
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/$arch/SL/RPMS
> >
> >o http://dl.atrpms.net/src/sl${version}-$arch/scientificlinux/release
> >  contains
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/SRPMS/vendor/original
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/SRPMS
> >
> >o http://dl.atrpms.net/sl${version}-$arch/scientificlinux/updates
> >  contains
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/$arch/errata/SL/RPMS
> >
> >o http://dl.atrpms.net/src/sl${version}-$arch/scientificlinux/updates
> >  contains
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/SRPMS/vendor/errata
> >  ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/SRPMS
> >
> >For the src.rpms it looks a bit like too much (including
> >ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/$versionx/SRPMS in both), but
> >I could not find "release" srpms separated from "updates", and it
> >doesn't really hurt.
> >
> >($versionx is a map from 4->4x and 3->30x)
>
> Hi Axel,
> It looks like you have everything as far as I can tell.  I don't think
> anyone could install from that tree ... but it certainly would make yum
> and apt transactions much easier.

You mean an anaconda net-install? (I hope) that's covered with the
mirror under http://dl.atrpms.net/mirrors/scientific/.

> On a related note.  It looks like you are still moving things around,
> but where do you see the S.L. 3.x and 4.x compatible atrpms ending up
> at?  To me they look like they are at
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/el3-i386/atrpms/
>
> and their comparable arch and distro places.  Is this where we should
> mirror?  Or do you see them changing to a different places such as
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/sl3-i386/atrpms/

Yes, you are right. The proper thing to do is to keep them under both
(a hardlinked copy) to allow mirrorers to pick the desired distros
easier instead of hunting them through the layout.

I'll fix this for atrpms and upcoming dag etc subdirs.

Does the layout otherwise make sense? It is still not in production in
the sense that it hasn't been officially announced other than on
atrpms-devel. I wouldn't really like to make any drastic changes
shortly before going public though.

It cannot be used for anaconda net installs, because anaconda does
have some strict requirements on the layout and only supports one
repo. But if the plans/rumors on anaconda going yum turn out to become
real, I hope that any yum repo will be anaconda plugable :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net